Hytera radio technology at Stadtwerke Leer
Stadtwerke Leer in Lower Saxony, Germany, provides 35,000 inhabitants of the city with water, disposes of the dirty water and administers the tide-independent port with the port railway and the sea lock. Stadtwerke uses a Hytera DMR Tier II radio system for operational communication. The system consists of a repeater, a dispatcher, 23 handheld radios (X1p, PD795 Ex) and 32 mobile radios (MD785). The project was carried out with the Hytera partner A & W Funk Service Kfz-Elektrik GmbH & Co. KG. Stadtwerke Leer has also signed a maintenance contract.
Hytera radio technology is used in a wide range of operating areas at the municipal utility: on the construction depot, in the sewage treatment plant and in the waterworks, but also in the port of Leer and the associated railway and at the lock. Employees from other local authorities also benefit from this communication system.
Our mobile radio solution in detail
The Hytera Repeater RD985 was installed centrally on the approximately 50 metre high company water tower; as a result, the range is very high and with it the network already covers around 80 percent of the entire Leer district.
Thanks to an emergency power supply for the repeater, the communication system can also be used reliably in crisis situations such as power failures. Emergency calls, a man-down alarm and GPS data converge at a private company’s 24/7 emergency centre to ensure employee safety.
Stadtwerke’s public telephone system was connected to the repeater via an SIP interface. A RADio Alarm Manager from Hytera partner ORIT was also installed. With the help of quick texts (via the x1p radios), this controls the digital alarm converter (DAC) of the fire brigade in the Leer district and can also trigger the digital message recipients for winter service at four different loops. In addition, the remote control of the site lighting for the building yard is regulated via a telemetry output. This means that the winter service team can easily switch the lights on and off on and off via the radio equipment when working at night.
Stadtwerke Leer: Facts and figures
- Stadtwerke Leer is an institution under public law in the city of Leer in East Frisia and provides around 34,000 people with drinking water
- The drinking water network is 170 kilometres long, the sewage network 280 kilometres
- The supply and disposal area covers 70.3 km²
- Stadtwerke Leer operates and maintains the Heisfelde waterworks with its connected drinking water network and the Leer sewage treatment plant with a public sewer network
- It is also responsible for the operation of the Leeraner industrial and commercial port, including the operational service of the port lock.
- The company also takes on urban services such as street cleaning and winter maintenance, the care and maintenance of traffic systems and green areas, and the maintenance of urban properties.
- Stadtwerke Leer is responsible for the maintenance of its vehicles as well as the vehicles of the city of Leer and the city fire department.
We chose a Hytera DMR Tier II system due to its high level of functionality and flexibility. It fits perfectly with our communication requirements in the different areas of application.
-Hans-Peter Schnell, workshop manager Stadtwerke Leer